Project Reference A-4 : Learmount Castle Restoration

Learmount Castle is a Tudor-Gothic house, built in 1830 by Henry Barre Beresford situated in the village of Park.  It was built as an extension of an older building erected by a Captain Montgomery around 1710. The former structure, part of which still remains would have been a fortified plantation house or bawn. The Beresford Family were landlords of this area. During World War II the castle was taken over by the Ashleigh House Girls School,Belfast. In 1944 the estate was bought by the Ministry of Agriculture. In 1950 the Youth Hostel Association rented out the castle and remained there until 1983. Since then the building has remained empty and is currently in private ownership.

The castle is set in the grounds of Learmount Forest which is an important area for natural heritage and public access.  This project aims to undertake essential repairs to the building to halt the degradation of the building and to preserve the castle for future generations.

 

Learmount Castle is a Tudor-Gothic house, built in 1830 by Henry Barre Beresford situated in the village of Park.  It was built as an extension of an older building erected by a Captain Montgomery around 1710. The former structure, part of which still remains would have been a fortified plantation house or bawn. The Beresford Family were landlords of this area. During World War II the castle was taken over by the Ashleigh House Girls School,Belfast. In 1944 the estate was bought by the Ministry of Agriculture. In 1950 the Youth Hostel Association rented out the castle and remained there until 1983. Since then the building has remained empty and is currently in private ownership.

The castle is set in the grounds of Learmount Forest which is an important area for natural heritage and public access.  This project aims to undertake essential repairs to the building to halt the degradation of the building and to preserve the castle for future generations.