Project Reference A-5 : Claudy Church Restoration
The now vacant St Patrick’s Church was built in 1850 as the parish centre of the Claudy ward. Located at the centre of the village, it has been an architectural focal point for the local community as well as providing for the cultural, social and religious activity in the area. The church is a Grade B listed building but because it has been vacant for approximately 20 years, it has fell into serious disrepair and will be unlikely to survive another generation intact. This project aims to undertake essential repairs to the roof, guttering, windows and other external fabric to ensure the long term architectural and structural preservation of the building. This is seen as the first step in bringing the building back into community use.
The now vacant St Patrick’s Church was built in 1850 as the parish centre of the Claudy ward. Located at the centre of the village, it has been an architectural focal point for the local community as well as providing for the cultural, social and religious activity in the area. The church is a Grade B listed building but because it has been vacant for approximately 20 years, it has fell into serious disrepair and will be unlikely to survive another generation intact. This project aims to undertake essential repairs to the roof, guttering, windows and other external fabric to ensure the long term architectural and structural preservation of the building. This is seen as the first step in bringing the building back into community use.